VC ROTS Anakin Skywalker Review

 This week's post is a long awaited figure review. After the negative events and feelings I've had for well over a month, I feel good enough to do a review. Especially if I'm not disappointed. And with the new Anakin Skywalker from the Wally World exclusive 2 pack with Commander Cody, I have in my hands a figure that in my opinion will be tough to overcome as the best figure of the year. In my Lagniappe Section, the BanthaSkull Disqus commentors take over as I have really needed to be positive, especially with all the recent happenings in the VC. 






Before I begin, after opening the Obi-Wan figure I lost the extra hand. Now that I've just found it, I can begin my review. Now I should note that while the Anakin Skywalker figure is the main point of this post, I wanted to show the packaging. Anakin came to me via Fed Ex, while I had to drive out of state to find Obi-Wan, although to be fair I was already there but you get the point. Retail exclusives are supposed to actually show up in those stores. Target does the better job, Wal-Mart, not so much. Since I was opening both 2 packs anyway, I couldn't care less about the Obi-Wan package, the Anakin package arrived with little protection for the box. As an opener, I don't care about the condition of the box. But for those who collect the carded figures only, or as well as openers, this may be a concern. I'm just glad Wal-Mart didn't cancel my order, as I had an order for the Retro 4 inch GI Joe Scarlett figure canceled. But Wal-Mart made up for it by delivering the 1st 2 seasons of The Mandalorian on Blu Ray to me, and this Anakin 2 pack. 




Since I've opened this figure, I've been playing around with it. The last figure I did that with was the Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker from ROTJ, which was my top VC figure in my VC Top 25 for 25. The previous version of this figure was "dark side" Anakin from the Anakin 3 pack. That version was based off the World Between Worlds Anakin from the Ahsoka series. This figure is Anakin from ROTS. And he just looks incredible! With all the negatively lately, this figure has rejuvenated me. Having fun is what collecting is supposed to be about, and this figure is fun! 





Anakin sports the typical 17 POA that all modern VC figures have. But as you can see in the last photo above, there is a significant difference in the right wrist articulation. ROTS Anakin has the up/down motion, while the 3 pack Anakin has left/right wrist motion. Why the up/down wrist motion is better will be shown when I cover the accessories. The face sculpt is nearly perfect. The cloth skirt and tabbards also help with the leg movement, had there been some plastic used for these parts, Anakin wouldn't be as flexible.


Aside from some paint apps on the right forearm, and the head and head color, there isn't much difference between the 2 figures. Dark side Anakin's pants appear to be a lighter shade of brown. But on the ROTS Anakin, the paint apps are flawless. But I do have one nitpick, he isn't well balanced. I had to constantly lean him against the wall in shots, so he will need a stand. But he can be posed in just about any possible position you can think of. Plus his hair is the right color. If you wanted to do a head swap, you could. I personally would have to boil some water to do it, as I have had bad luck doing that lately. But the shot I've been waiting for is coming next. 


Before I get into the included accessories, I wanted to share this shot of Anakin in his robe. The hood is up, and he looks ready to either slay some Younglings, or go medieval on some Separatist leaders. Or just chilling out. But this is something Hasbro hasn't done with the ROTS or ANH Obi-Wan, and I feel confident that Hasbro can do this with more Jedi figures in the near future. Which is a great thing. But in the positive vibes era I want to adhere to for this post, I wasn't a fan of the back photograph in the robe. But for an amateur photographer, it isn't bad. No doubt Chris and Nomad will take better robed photos. 





Anakin comes with an extra left Force push hand, robe, plus lit and unlit hilts of the Youngling Slayer 3000, aka lightsaber. And you can see I got him in a THWG. I really enjoyed getting this shot, despite it being 80 in my house since it's 100 degrees outside as I type this. I'm done with summer. But, he can do the THWG and that's all that matters. Now, the next photos have Obi-Wan from the other ROTS 2 pack. Since I view apologies as a weakness, I'm not issuing one. But want to show some more Anakin shots. So, please focus on Anakin. 




Please ignore the janky knees on Obi-Wan, and focus on the Chosen One. I had to lean Anakin against the wall in the second shot above, Obi-Wan stood without an issue. Now I've read that some people think that there's a different shade of blue for Anakin and Obi-Wan's lightsabers. I used a spare comic book backing board, so you be the judge. Or was it Anakin and Luke's lightsabers?! I don't know, it's just hot as Eva Mendes in Leia's bikini outside and in my house. So I can't think as clearly as I like. But all I have to say is, Anakin is a home run figure. That Obi-Wan will never be reviewed by me. But he makes good photo fodder for Anakin.




Since Anakin is tall, his scale is shown well here. He's slightly taller than Obi-Wan, and Padme is kinda tiny. So she's scaled. ANH Luke is shorter, although admittedly I had both father and son leaning against the wall, so it makes Luke look taller than he actually is. I can safely say that this is the definitive ROTS Anakin for the Vintage Collection. 


LAGNIAPPE SECTION 


On BanthaSkull a few days ago, I asked 3 questions:


1. What have you recently gotten that's new to you in the VC or 3.75 inch figure wise?


2. What are you reading? Doesn't have to be Star Wars related. I'm reading Truce at Bakura, and saw that Luke referred to Wedge as Rogue One.

3. What are you collecting, besides Star Wars? 


So, taking over the Lagniappe Section this post are the BanthaSkull Disqus commentors. And I want to take this time to thank everyone who responded, I'll get to why I wanted this at the end of the post. 

First up, a screenshot I messed up taking: Thunderbird 2:


Love the E-Wing pick up, and the renamed droid! And the book looks very interesting as well. I'm also looking forward to Nacelle Toys Star Trek figures, especially the OS versions. I know Rand is coming in that wave, and hopefully Rand from ST VI will soon be announced! 


Next up, Lobot Boy Summer! 


Great find on the AT-RT! And I'm also waiting on the Art of Andor book, as those types of Star Wars books always fascinate me. Your other books also sound like they keep you relaxed, which is a must for reading, in my honest opinion. And I have weakness for 1990's era Marvel Mutant teams. One of these days I want the 90's era X-Force. If they ever made a decent Stryfe, I might get motivated to get them. As well as some Spider-Man villains.  


Next up, 77Skywalker: 


Glad you're enjoying the Orray! Major props for reading The Odyssey! And your vinyl collection intrigues me as well, I've got a couple but they're badly warped due to improper storage but they make great displays. Hope you've got a great player, and enjoy the music! 

Next up, Stormtrooper53:



Veers is a great figure, I'm looking forward to his duty uniform version. Your reading list is quite balanced, the way it should be! I like Joe Classified, but I wished they were scaled to the Sixers, I always used 3.75 Joe's with my Kenner figures back in the day. I got a movie version of Scarlett to use as Mara Jade, but she's taller than any Sixer Luke I have. But the Joe's are scaled with Marvel Legends so Snake Eyes and Spider-Man can take on Storm Shadow and Venom. And the Cavillrine might be a purchase one day (a alternate universe Wolverine was played by Henry Cavill in Deadpool & Wolverine, in case anyone reading this isn't familiar with who we're talking about).


Your turn, McBeard:


Short, sweet and to the point. Glad you were able to get something you couldn't years ago, I feel the same way whenever I see a new Darth Vader figure. Also as history buff, I love your reading list

Uncle Dino: 


I need to go to the trade shows you go to! A $5 Legacy Collection Ughnaught?! I paid $8 for the 2 POTF2 ones I got, but you got the better deal there! And I needed a reminder to read the Bible more than I do, a personal regret of mine. And you've got a great mix of collectibles! 


VLazslo:


I was really interested in your current reading list, I've had to look them up to see what they're about. And one of my collecting regrets are passing up a John Carter/Dejah Thoris 2 pack years ago at the NOLA Comic Con, I forget the company who made them but it was for sale for $15. Once MOTU Origins came out, the included weapons could have been used as extras for those figures. Also love the MECO album cover aliens! 


Wampa Stompa: 


As you can see in my review, I love Anakin. I'm opening Cody later, I need to see if I can do a head swap to give him both a helmeted and unhelmeted head. I enjoy reading older comics, X-Men included. I have nephews and nieces that I give them to so that they'll enjoy reading, and thankfully a couple of them enjoy getting the comics. I really want those Battlestar Galactica figures, but my wallet is telling me no. And I need to get some OS Playmates figures, In particular Rand and Chapel, plus Dax and Bashir in the OS uniforms. I need to sell plasma to afford O'Brian in the red shirt.


Chimpinfinity:


I'm waiting on my Clonetrooper 4 pack, and hoping a Phase II 4 pack is coming soon. The old Marvel Star Wars comics are like gold to me, I need to find reasonably priced TPB's of issue 21 up through the ESB adaptation. I had to look up your other figures, I had no idea they made those! Gives me hope that one day decent Lone Ranger and Tonto figures can be made!

11Eleven11: 


The fall of Toys R U changed action figure buying in many ways. We probably wouldn't have HasLab's if Wall Street hadn't bungled them up (not being political, but it's the truth). My idea of Heaven is Toys R Us with a bunch of Star Wars, GI Joe, MOTU Origins, plus Marvel Secret Wars and DC Super Powers figures. 

Trooper 31:


I'm on the minority opinion on Baze. I ended up putting a small piece of 2 sided tape in the ammo belt, and so far, it doesn't pop out. I'm looking up your book, and I'm waiting to see the reviews on BSG figures. I might have to order them through BBTS, but I want that Cylon 3 pack to come up for preorder, since the individual figures are sold out, and the only way to get them is by the case, minus Boomer.

Sven Redbeard: 


I can understand the delay in getting to new stuff, but I'm glad the Mrs is getting her own space. Please share your new collecting space photos if possible! I'd share mine but it's all an organized mess at the moment, mostly it's in plastic bins. The old Donald and Scrooge adventures seem interesting, especially since I'm an Indiana Jones fan as well! Can't wait for the new BSG figures, either! 


Doc Red: 


I am mixed on the High Republic, but Phase 2 I checked out. Phase 3 seemed to get back on track a bit. Glad you're enjoying it! And happy hunting on the Star Wars loose figures! On Transformers I'm on the opposite end, I enjoy the G1 figures, although I'm not a fan of the battle damaged ones. The Gundam models are amazing, I'm tempted to get the Blokees models, but I want the 4 inch figures over the 6 inch versions. Happy model making! 


David Bodenschatz:


I missed out on Target's sale, otherwise I would have picked up Zeb. While I am personally happy with the earlier Zeb, I do like the new one. The deluxe Mando is also one of my favorite figures of the year, and I need a spare one so I can dremel off the tab that Grogu can be attached to. Jim Starlin's Thanos stories are excellent reading as well, glad you're in the comic collecting game! 

Blasko:


Based off the 4 pack, I'm tempted to do some painting to my Remnants, I need to look up your Hex ship and novel, they both seem interesting! Micro Galaxy Squadron is likely the best hope we have as VC collectors to get detailed ships at a wallet reasonable price, and since the figures can stay in the ship, no need to worry about that! Glad RumSleg and I got you into Origins, I can't wait to get the proper Origins Two Bad, and I hope they make 1987 movie figures in Origins as well, Karg and Skeletor's Troopers especially! 



Okay, so why did I ask the questions? The 1st was being curious. The 2nd and 3rd to show that we all have different things we enjoy, but also some common ones. With all the negativity recently, I want to show what VC collectors are: very passionate about their collecting, but also that we have our separate interests. We're all different, but our passion for Star Wars has helped create a unique community, one I hope we continue as long as we live. So from the bottom of my heart, maybe even cockles or sub cockles of my heart, I want to thank the BanthaSkull Disqus commentors for their answers, and for the free therapy! 


Thanks for reading! A special thanks to Chris and Nomad at BanthaSkull for allowing me to post this in the comments section! Please share this link on your social media accounts so I can get more readers! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merrin VC Review

Disney Era VC Wish List.

NYCC Wrap Up; Price Increases & Star Wars At 50