2024 San Diego Comic Con Reveals

 It's been a big week for Star Wars collecting, and for many others as the San Diego Comic Con wraps up today. Earlier this week, Hasbro Pulse and Collider revealed new stuff coming to the Vintage Collection. So I'll give my thoughts on these new reveals, and a breakdown of all the Star Wars releases and some non Star Wars items that I find interesting....let's go! Photo sources from X: Yakface, Toy Bro, Preternia, Toy News International and Pixel Dan. I also got a picture from UsualMike Television from YouTube. If anyone recognizes a photo from someone I haven't mentioned please let me know in the comment section, and it's obvious I don't own the pictures and didn't take them. 

For a change, I'm going to talk about some other lines before I get into Star Wars, I want to cover some other interesting reveals from other lines and companies. 


1. Transformers 




Knight Rider will forever be my favorite guilty pleasure, and on a personal note, I dealt with a potentially major health event, and watching this show helped me manage the stress and anxiety I dealt with. Fortunately, I was alright medically. But, Hasbro has had transforming Back To The Future DeLprean, a transforming Ecto 1 and now a transforming KITT! As a sort of grown up 80's kid, this is just pure nostalgia and I'm here for it! I don't have a lot of Transformers figures, and I have a Diamond Toys Knight 2000 at home that currently has a ReAction Michael Knight at the wheel. It's a loose fit but he's in there. For any Knight Rider or Transformers fan, this is an item you might want to consider adding to your collection. 


2. McFarlane Toys 


McFarlane Toys brings one of my favorite movir Batmobiles into the line with the one from Batman Forever, which includes an Aldred Pennyworth action figure. To my knowledge the current Batman Forever Batman doesn't have a cloth cape, so I would expect a future Val Kilmer Batman figure to have that so he can fit inside this vehicle. They have to do the same for Christian Bale's Batman with the upcoming Tumbler/Lucius Fox 2 pack. 

McFarlane Toys is also doing Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movies. For some reason my pictures wouldn't load, but Arthur Fleck will come with swappable heads: normal and clown paint. He will also be in a 2 pack Tonight Show diorama with Robert DeNiro to recreate the movie's final scenes (also not bad to have if you have McFarlane Toys Dark Knight Returns figures). No word yet if Lady Gaga's Harley Quinn will get a figure as nothing from Joker 2 was shown to my knowledge. 


3. Master Of The Universe Origins

As a sort of gorwn up 1980's kid, Masters of the Universe was a big part of growing up. Along with Transformers and GI Joe ( the Classified Rattler HasLab has funded and hit its 1st tier, it should easily get the 2 extra tiered figures in the gunner and pilot Baroness) as after school cartoons that had to be seen. Like with Star Wars, Mattel has a Black Series type line with Masterverse,  while their Vintage Collection counterpart is Origins, which I also collect. While Origins has moved into Filmation animated versions (Hordak and She Ra Filmation style figures are coming, BTW) and also the Turtles of Greyskull line, which I've enjoyed. Some Evil Horde figures have come into the line, along with a Sorceress style April O'Neal and Man At Arms style Casey Jones. All 4 Turtles have been done, and Shredder has been made with Evil Horde decorations. Now, the focus will go to the Snake Men: 



In the above images, that's Turtles of Greyskull Rattlor and Mekanek with a closet look at Mekanek. The Mekanek is an improvement over the standard Origins release for a couple reasons: 1. It isn't locked into a vehicle (Mekanek came with the Road Ripper) but now on a single card, and 2. Comes with something his standard release needed: an extra neck extension. The Masterverse Mekanek has multiple neck extensions, enabling some neat ways to display him. This line overall has been fun. Now I'm keeping my eyes out for April, Casey, Splinter (made in the style of King Greyskull from Revoltions) and the Rocksteady and Bebop who will form "Two Bad". Speaking of Two Bad, the SDCC exclusive was made in the Filmation Line, but will be coming to the standard Origins line which is a Matty Collectiojs exclusive now. But Mattel is assuming Origns fans that EVERY figure from the Vintage run will get Origins style updates. Modulok is also coming to Origins (I didn't get the picture but it looks amazing) and Mattel has a crowd funding project of their own: 


The above image is the Snake Lair, which is the headquarters of the Snake Men. And don't let the picture fool you: this is much larger than Snake Mountain and Castle Greyskull. It appears the pack in figure is a skeletal Queen Slither who can be displayed on the throne in either her bipedal or snake form. It also will come with a vehicle, the Rattle Trap. The size I'd nearly equal to the Eternia Playset, so it's going to be massive. The campaign begins on August 12th. And coming in 2025:


There's been the comic crossover which came a few years ago, but for 2025 Thundercats figures will be made by Mattel, similar to what they are doing with the Turtles of Greyskull. However, I have a feeling these will be in the Masterverse style. But if they're in the Origns style you can bet I'm getting them all! 

4. Other News

Playmates will take over the Power Rangers line from Hasbro beginning next year. If you haven't found Hasbro's Power Rangers on clearance you soon will. If Playmates puts money behind this, unlike what they did when relaunching Star Trek, while focusing on one brand initially, this could be good. The Playmates ST figures were good, and they have had a runaway hit with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for many years. Hopefully they have a hit with this. 

I didn't see any reveals for Super Powers from McFarlane Toys as of this time. The good thing about that line is the selection of heroes. The bad is there are hardly any villains. No Lex Luthor, no Joker and only the Super Friends Legion of Doom Brainiac as a mainline release. Blue Beetle and Booster Gold are cool, but this line needs a few villain heavy waves. I won't object to Legion of Doom style villains, but the 1984 era Brainiac and the Panic In The Sky version which was an online exclusive need to come, especially with the Skull Ship vehicle looking exactly like the 1984 version. Okay, now onto what my blog is all about: 


STAR WARS PRODUCT REVEALS

Black Series 

I'll just give a quick rundown on who I found interesting, not every rreveal. Some of these reveals are really good, even though I'm at the end of my collecting interest for this line. 

1. Ahsoka Tano 


AKA Ahsoka The White, this is based off her appearance in the final 1st season episodes of the Ahsoka series. And VC fans, this one doesn't come with a robe either. Her lekku are a bit longer, so this is the most live screen accurate Ahsoka figure in this scale. Plus the head sculpt is near perfect. 


2. IG-12


From Mando S3, he comes with 2 Anzellan technicians (like Babu Frik from Ep 9) and another Grogu figure. If they found a way to give him articulated arms that don't fall off when moving him, this may be the definitive 1:12 Grogu. IG-12  is an all new sculpt, and looks to be an upgrade based off the VC IG-11. He has new arms and hands, but more importantly is in proper scale to other 6 inch figures. This is a deluxe release. 

3. Dedra Meero 


There's already a female Imperial Officer buck for this line, and they use it here to make Dedra, a long requested collectors request comes true. The head sculpt and paint apps look amazing, and capture the likeness of the actress portraying her. 

4. Cassian Andor 


I've said Andor isn't a toyetic show. And I believe I'm right. That said, this is a very good version of Cassian, and looks to be an all new figure head to toe. I even see some custom potential in this figure! He's coming this fall, along with the other figures I've listed here. 

4. Imperial Armored Commando


Another figure from Mando S3, he comes with 2 weapons and what looks to be a removable jetpack. If you've got the cash, this makes a great troop builder. 

Pipeline Reveals


The 2 that stand out to me are the Wookiee Jedi  and Prince Xizor from Shadows Of The Empire. Mauldalorian Moff Gideon looks interesting, as does WBW Clone Wars Anakin. Admittedly I might get the Praetorian Guard. I just hope there's a Guti or Dash Rendar coming, otherwise Xizor will be like Jaina Solo and has no figure to interact with. 


VINTAGE COLLECTION 

1. Cobb Vanth


This will be a deluxe figure, and it's nice to see the bubble back on this line. The last deluxe figure like this was Mando & Grogu with the Spiders, to my knowledge. I hope Boba's chest armor is removable, but the helmet is swappable and not removable, so that's a big win for collectors. 

2. Ahsoka Tano 


To the disdain of VC collectors she doesn't come with a robe or unlit hilts. That would make it a deluxe version and we all know it, sadly. This is the most onscreen accurate Ahsoka in this scale. 

3. Grand Admiral Thrawn 


Finally we get a live action Thrawn. The skintone is also improved, along with the Lars Mikkelsen head sculpt. Definitely adding to my carded collection. 

VINTAGE COLLECTION CREATURE & PLAYSET

Mandalorian with Blurrg



A long requested creature comes this fall, along with a barbell hip version of Din Djarin from S1, who comes on a single card. The Blurrg can fit in the Razor Crest, but no word if it can also fit in The Ghost. I expect this to be a fast seller, so check online stores for this one. 

Armorer's Forge Playset 


It's a modular style playset, and comes with an apparent update to the Armorer action figure. She has lots of tools to work with with so she can fashion a complete set of armor for Din Djarin, or small pieces for him and Bo Katan. Or she could test her golfing skills on some Stormtroopers. The Armorer figure will be on a single card inside, and again check online stores for this. 

Pipeline Reveals 

The only ones I'm not wild about are the Clonetrooper Lt and Mauldalorian, the latter of which we already have. This one will be the live action version, and unless there's a Gar Saxon head, I am skipping it. Getting Dedra means we can get female officers now (a Legends Ysanne Isard or Admiral Daala are now possible), and Jedi Carrie Anne Moss and Yord from The Acolyte are must buys. Getting Obi-Wan from when he meets Luke will be an epic figure, and I hope he comes with the T-16 model like his Black Series counterpart did. But wait, there's more! 


Finally Baylan Skoll and Shin Hati are coming to the VC! Hopefully they are properly scaled, which the Black Series versions aren't. I sense this could be a potential 2 pack but I hope they are single card releases. These pipeline figures are coming next year. The other figures are coming later this year. 


Reveals From Earlier This Week

1. Shriek Hawk 4 Pack


The classic Kenner style packs are back. I don't know if this replaces the white boxes, but it's nice to see. And all 4 figures have different heights, plus you get a female figure. Not bad! 

2. Bo Katan


Bo comes with the Darksaber, new paint job and right shoulder armor piece. Sadly the head sculpt doesn't really resemble her S3 look, which is what this figure is based on. 

3. Din Djarin 


I admittedly wanted to pass on this figure when first revealed, but he has the new barbell hips. I can hear you making the Malibu Stacy "but she has a new hat!" argument, and it's valid. But this new hat can more easily fit in vehicles. He comes with the Armored Commando jetpack. Hopefully the jetpack from previous versions can fit, otherwise the Malibu Stacy argument will once again be uttered. 

FINAL THOUGHTS

Not a bad time for VC collectors, we are getting some amazing products later this year. Now if only we know the date when The Ghost will ship, that will help. Yes, I got one and already budgeted for it, just need that date...and yes I plan on covering it on this blog. I hope this momentum can build and we have more equity in the line: equal Black Series and VC characters offered per wave, and better opportunities to troop build for both scales. Hasbro has their PulseCon in September so expect to see some more reveals then. But in all, this was a lot of fun but also a lot of work, which is why I'm later in posting this. While this is my most eagerly awaited event not just for collecting but for movies: Robert Downey Jr is back in the MCU as Doctor Doom. Now if he's Victor Von Doom who got surgery to look like Tony Stark, I'll be okay. But if he's an evil Tony Stark I'm over it and done with the MCU. I have a similar bad feeling about the new Superman movie with all the other heroes appearing. The focus should just be on Superman, in my opinion. Okay I'm rambling but you get the point, San Diego Comic Con is a huge event, and one day, hopefully I can make it over there once. It's on my bucket list  amongst many other things. 


Thanks for reading! A special thanks to Chris & Nomad from BanthaSkull for allowing me to post this link in the comments! Please share this blog post on your social media accounts so I can get more readers! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing