Darth Malgus Black Series Review

 



The Black Series Darth Malgus which is in the Gaming Greats line was one of my top Black Series figures of 2023. And with good reason. The figure has excellent articulation, and my sample was well balanced, something I'll go into when I discuss it. But as you can see with the Vintage Collection Malgus standing next to it, it's easy to see why I like this figure. I've promised this review for a while, and now it's time to finally deliver! 



Malgus has 18 POA, and I can honestly say it was incredibly easy to pose this figure to get these shots. I found his articulation to be simple, even his head which I'm showing without his mask. He has cloth robes permanently attached, along with a hood that does work quite well, and if you wanted to recreate his look from some of the KOTOR Trailers he appears in it's easy to do. Personally I wanted my Sixer Malgus to not be too similar to the Vintage Collection version as far as appearances go. He can do a THWG, I just didn't like the photos since they were blurry. 

The sculpt is simply amazing! It's an all new sculpt from head to toe. Which is easy to get in this scale, not so much for the VC in their Gaming Greats line. You can take that as a partial shot to Hasbro as there are lots of Gaming Greats requests in the VC, and the only main we have is Cal Kestis, which is a newly tooled figure. Neither the hood, nor the shoulder pads hinders any articulation at all. This is what a great figure sculpt is all about! 



Before I got into his accessories I wanted to give a better look at figure display options, since I already showed him posing with his lightsaber. The 1st picture above is from Galactic Figures and wasn't taken by me. It shows off his face mask and his hood fully on. The 2nd photo above was taken by me and shows the detail of his facial scars. A very good job by Hasbro! 

His accessories aren't much, just the mask and lightsaber. His cloak and hood aren't removable. His lightsaber blade is very long, something I'm told his weapon in the video game was. If you have the Baylan Skoll Sixer figure, the blade is about the same length. The blade is removable, however his unlit hilt can't fit on his belt, which is the only flaw I'd give this figure. When Galactic Figures did their shots, they said the ankles on their sample were too loose. Just making that note as they posted it in their review. So, for being a tall Black Series figure, is Malgus the tallest?



No, he isn't the tallest. Chewbacca reigns supreme there, as you can see in the first photo above. I had difficulty getting my McFarlane Michael Keaton Batman off his stand, but he and Malgus are roughly the same size. Plus like Krrsantan, he's bulky! He's still slightly taller than Vader, so he's the tallest Sith Lord, easily. 

I was on the fence about getting this figure, his retail price was in the deluxe range ($35). Thankfully Gamestop had him at a discount price so I quickly grabbed it, due to the box being damaged. Anything in this scale for me is an opener anyway! He's worth getting but it's not the end of the world if you don't get him either. While I doubt the VC will ever do a new Malgus, having this figure makes me wish they would because all they need to do is shrink this one down and it's perfect! 

Thanks for reading! All photos are mine, except for Malgus in his mask as that's from Galactic Figures. Please share this link on your social media accounts so I can get more readers! 


PS: Hasbro unveiled the Vintage Collection HasLab this past Friday, and due to a family event I had no time to cover it. I will do so next week, and explain why I'm not only backing it but why you should too! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing