VC Bib Fortuna Review

 When collectors unite in a kind way to Hasbro, they will listen. For years, many collectors hoped that Bib Fortuna would come to the Vintage Collection and this year (late 2021 but I got mine this year), Hasbro granted that wish. So the Finish the 96 crowd gets to check one off the list. Now where does the name originate? Allegedly, while working on Star Wars in Tunisia, George Lucas called for a lunch break, and saw a background worker upset about the lunch selection. When GL asked what the worker was upset about, he was told that the worker "begged for tuna". I don't know if it's true or not, but it works for me, LOL!!


Bib sports 17 POA, and was made mostly from a kitbash of older figures (he uses Bespin Lando's lower body) with some newly sculpted items like his unique hands and of course his head sculpt. His upper body has no trouble moving at all. You'll be able to see the full range of movement in the pictures. You can pose him in a seated position but it takes some effort as he has the ball socket hip joints. The sculpts are top notch, as is the paint apps which are all clean.

Bib only comes with the removable robe as his accessory and I promise no more unrobed figure (see my Snoke review) photos! This is a cost saving move by Hasbro which paid off for other figures like Darth Vader & Reva to get extra accessories. So, sadly he doesn't come with his classic Kenner accessory (a staff) or the blaster his POTF2 figure had, or the knife his previous figure (2006) did. But I am not disappointed, like I said, it was necessary for that to be done.

I don't comment much on the card, but I will start doing so in these reviews, and even work back on older ones if times are slow for me. Anyway, this card mirrors the one Kenner did in 1983-84. No real changes and that is what hard core collectors are pleased with. It works, and it is unchanged. Taking film stills instead of digital recreations are what I like the most about VC cards.

Now, is he essential to your collection? He isn't a major character, but he is essential if you have Jabba the Hutt, so there's that. Plus I like weird looking Star Wars aliens. He fits that bill. A casual fan has no clue who Bib Fortuna is, while the hardcore fans and collectors know him. His secondary market prices are reasonable and he is easy to find. 









Picture Key:

1. Long shot of Bib, who actually does stand up well but I did kind of tilt him back to get a better angle for the shot. 

2. A close up on a face that only his mother could love! 

3. Bib and his 2006 counterpart. Couldn't pose the 06 version holding the knife but you see the upgrade the 2022 version is over that one. 

4. Bib sits on Snoke's throne. Takes work to pose but it can be done. 

5. (Bee Gees singing voice) "I'm staying alive!"[until Boba Fett blasts him in Mando Chapter 16]

6. Jabba the Hutt! Had hoped to add my other POTF2 Gamorrean Guard but he kept falling over. Also good that I also kept my Jabba's Palace Playset box! Had to move his rail and pipe to fit Bib in the shot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing