Finding A Kenner Holy Grail

 I went to a small town comic con yesterday, not really expecting to find much. I had been looking for trade paperbacks but struck out. Most of the comics I went through I already had. It happens.


I was surprised at the toy selections although some prices were just...high. But there were some good values I did pass on. Black Series Count Dooku for $25, First Contact figures for $10 per figure, and I am kicking myself for not buying the blueprints to the original and refit Enterprise! Plus a GI Joe Retalliation Zartan figure for $18. There was an Ughnaught figure from the Legacy Collection but he was $45. I settled on a Galoob Tasha Yar for $10 on card. Now I just need Riker. I also got a few GI Joe Rise of Cobra figures which I am using as Knights of Ren. Even found a mint VC Kylo Ren to keep carded for $15, but the only figure I overspent on was the McQuarrie Concept Rebel Trooper for $20. I found a Super7 Filmation Teela I talked down to $20 which I wanted because it came with a sword that fits in MOTU Origins Teela's hand much better. That Teela can hold the Xena sword Orgins Teela couldn't hold. Win-win! But that's not what I am talking about. I found a Holy Grail. Two in fact. But one was just not in the budget. The other, definitely was, and I bought it!

I found a Kenner Y-Wing in great condition! All the stickers still on it, even had the box! Did I get it?! Hell no! For $175 I said nope! But it was fun to look at, rare to see a near 40 year old toy as well cared for as that one was. The POTF2 version was at the same table for $125 and in better condition. But he also wanted $65 for the ANH carded R2-D2. But at another convention table. I saw it. Darth Vader's Star Destroyer. I had never seen one out of the box, the last time I saw it at a convention it was around $300 in a slightly damaged box. But more importantly, this was for $35!

Now there is a lot missing. The stickers have long been worn off. The holographic plate is missing, so are pieces like the gun, escape hatch, "torture rack" (where you can suspend a figure upside down), and a few others. Pretty bare. But other than that in good shape! Honestly the stickers aren't important and neither are the gun or the hatch cover. Finding the hologram plate is a must, but there is another important piece I need first but will likely improvise.

Taking pictures is hard as the top part is missing a clip to keep it together. I have 2 sided tape which I hope keeps it sturdy, but I'll be keeping this on a desk so and not where I'm taking my pictures. These are just to show it off. To say I was shocked was an understatement! I passed by a couple times before I came back to buy it. I knew if I waited longer someone would beat me to it. Taking pictures was hard as the top kept falling off. But, a Kenner Holy Grail is found!

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing