Upset at Marvel Star Wars, For Now..

I've said, and will continue to say that if you want good stories in Disney Canon the comic books are the way to go. Vader: Down is simply awesome. The 1st 2 Vader monthly series were incredible. Skywalker Strikes, the 1stb6 issues of the 1st Star Wars monthly series should be required reading. The Han, Lando and Leia miniseries are all great reads.

Which is why War of the Bounty Hunters has intrigued me. It's a take off from Legends when Boba Fett got hunted by his fellow hunters before dropping Han Solo off to Jabba the Hutt. Now in Disney Canon Boba got robbed of Han by Qi'ra who has resurrected Crimson Dawn and is auctioning off Han to the highest bidder.

Now to the new Star Wars monthly written by Charles Soule. He wrote the 2nd Darth Vader monthly series and those are 25 of the best Vader or Star Wars comics ever written. In it, Luke has a new yellow bladed lightsaber, rescued from a Jedi Temple in a pretty unique way: fighting off the "spirit" of the Grand Inquisitor from Rebels. Now I have a point to all of this, and will get there.

The latest issue of Star Wars dropped last Wednesday. Vader threatens to cut Han in half after he defeats but doesn't kill Qi'ra in a blade vs lightsaber battle. Lando, Leia and Chewie can't get to Han in time. Vader senses Luke's presence. Luke senses Vader. Leia begs Luke to come help. En route, Luke gains the confidence to face Vader, and then a panel later loses his new confidence. The issue ends with Luke telling Leia "I know Leia, I know! I'm so sorry...I'm not ready to face him." as his X-Wing veers off its landing approach. Now, there is a part of me that does trust Charles Soule, and I will give him the benefit of the doubt. However, once again, Disney makes Luke Skywalker a coward yet again. It's getting tiring. While I await the resolution next month, I  may be closer to ending my purchases of Star Wars new comics. Which would be bad news for my local comic boom store. So you see my dilemma.

Like the real Luke Skywalker I want to believe in the good that is in everyone. Also, the writer deserves the benefit of the doubt. But, my patience is wearing thin. Heck, if I could draw I'd make my own Star Wars comics. My point is, while not new, is fans who have been loyal to Star Wars comics and books for years have been pushed aside. I've stuck with it, and while there are some good stuff about Disney Canon stories, this just feels like a gut punch. Not the good kind. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing