The not so High Republic

It is finished.


Well, for me anyway. The High Republic is. It's boring. There are too many characters, too many directions and the entire saga they have created GNDN (goes nowhere, does nothing). I had high (pun intended) hopes for this story, a new age that had not been covered, even in Legends. But, we get a bunch of what appear to be hastily put together stories and lack of focus on the main character, Avar Kriss. We have one shots of random Jedi, but not her. Why the Hell don't we?! She is supposed to be THE badass Jedi of this era, and aside from the debut novel, is just supporting character, especially in the main Marvel series. I really wanted to like this, but I just can't support it anymore. I'm giving up on the comic book after issue 6, which wraps up the 1st story arc, unless it has a great end and some connection to Avar. I also would like a story on how Avar and Elzar Mann met, as that would be intriguing. Also, an old Star Wars Legends novel, Heart of the Jedi had been outselling all High Republic novels on Amazon before it had been taken down.

The villains. I found the Nihil interesting in the beginning, but I don't find them as compelling villains for the Jedi. If they confront the Jedi the battle would be over in minutes. Sure they raise Hell and break and blow stuff up, and they steal a lot, but that's all they do. If a former Jedi and his or her followers were part of this group, they'd be a lot more dangerous. The Drengir species is an organic version of the Borg (as were the Yuuzhan Vong from Legends, IMHO) and these are interesting but they are plants. Plants. If they were all super powered Swamp Thing's who could walk, talk, run okay. Instead it's Little Shop of Horrors. "Feed me, Seymour!"

The disaster. I don't see how a passenger ship that collided with a Nihil ship while in hyperspace causes galactic wide mayhem, but we have it here. I know physics in Star Wars is different, and that's fine, but I have yet to hear why this is so random. If anything, only the system the collision took place should feel all the effects, but that is just my 1 cent opinion.

So, I know the next question "Do you think you could do better than this?"
Yes. Absolutely!

I would have an influential Jedi Master leave the Order, and start to convince systems that the Republic is corrupt. He would work with a criminal syndicate and some war hungry species in the Republic to destabilize the galaxy. Of course, this Jedi would be an unknown pawn to the Sith Lords at this time, who need an insurrection to occur so that they can freely and safely move. As the Jedi are in a state of civil war, the Republic Senate demands the Jedi protect the Republic from this harmful situation. In a battle, Yoda is seriously hurt, and near death. He will obviously live, but has to use a cane to get around (giving us a reason why besides old age he has to use one). As a result (which is where I think the High Republic will explain), the Jedi change to be protectors of the Republic, instead of servants of the Force.


So, unless we learn more about Avar Kriss, not have a rock be a co-pilot, and not have Jedi battle plants, I'm done with the High Republic era. Right now, it has lost me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing