VC Professor Huyang Review

 If you read my VC Five review, you'll know I was shocked I had these photos and this review wasn't done, so better late than never! 




Professor Huyang's first appearance came on an episode of Clone Wars episode "A Test Of Strength" which featured younglings being taken by Huyang to Ilum to construct their lightsabers. Huyang also played a big role in the Ahsoka series, and this Vintage Collection figure shows him from the show. 


As you can see in the photo above, Huyang is tall. Not taller than Vader but tall enough over Ahsoka & Sabine. But, he is not without some controversy. His paint tone doesn't appear to match his live action appearance. I have to go back and watch the show again to be certain, but those that say this pay a bit more attention to that detail, and may have seen the show more than the one time I watched it. The sculpt  however does resemble Huyang as seen on the show (and just as he was in Clone Wars he's voiced by former Dr Who actor David Tennant. Now Hasbro needs to make Bendu, voiced by my favorite Dr Who actor Tom Baker and I'll have 2 Dr Who figures as well!). So, a good sculpt overall, but a questionable paint job. 




When it comes to articulation I expected the skirt to inhibit lower body movement. While he can't sit down, he can flex as well as any of the newer VC figures. He's got 17 POA, including barbell style hips. He can achieve some cool poses, including the "breakdancing" pose I have him in as seen in the first picture above. He's easy to pose. I wasn't sure which surrender pose looked better, but you'll notice I have his lower leg bent in both photos. He's incredibly well balanced, as he's not leaning. But when it comes to the accessories, much like the paint applications, there isn't much. 





Huyang has a lot of accessories, but they aren't incredibly detailed. He comes with a removable backpack that comes with folded and unfolded arms. The unfolded arms only swivel up and down and cannot bend. I don't have the 6 inch Black Series version, or the Disney Store exclusive of this figure (also in 1:18 scale, and part of a 3 pack) so I don't know if the other figures have more than the swivel articulation that this figure has  

He also comes with 2 other accessories: a data pad, and a tool that looks like an unlit lightsaber hilt. Or a flashlight. You decide! However there is no detail on either item. The Black Series Huyang has some detail on the data pad (not pictured but saw one this morning at a store), or on the tool. It's just unpainted plastic. Good for using your imagination on what he's looking at, but bad for those who want exact onscreen detail. In the photos below you can see him using his accessories. I store mine with the backpack on, and the folded arms on it. I keep his other accessories in a small bag so they won't get lost. I haven't put any other weapons in his hands like a blaster or lightsaber (other than the lightsaber included with Sabine) but he could hold some of those weapons, if needed. 




Now, does the average collector need this figure? Probably not. However if you want all the mains from the Ahsoka series, then you do need him. If Hasbro ever made figures of Younglings, I could see Huyang making a return to the line and given a Clone Wars card. I'm not disappointed having the figure, though. Yes, it isn't the best one, and yes he isn't as detailed or onscreen accurate as I like,  but he's got connections to the Jedi Order and of course to Ahsoka. But, the 2 figures VC collectors want is Baylan Skoll and Shin Hati (the Black Series versions aren't great, hopefully the VC versions are in scale, unlike the Sixers) and of course a live action Thrawn is definitely coming. No word yet on whether the Peridia Ezra is coming to the line. Fortunately, Huyang has figures to interact with from the show. Unlike my Hunter figure that is in storage since he has no other Bad Batch squad mates to hang with, but that's another topic for another day. 


Thanks for reading! A special thanks to Chris & Nomad at BanthaSkull for allowing me to post this link in the comments section. Please share this link on your social media accounts so I can get more readers! 


PS: Before I go, a sneak preview of what's in the pipeline review wise. The best part about this picture is I can use it for more than one review:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing