Phase I Clonetrooper VC Review

 Here it is, nearly the end of April, and I finally have a figure released in 2024 that I can review in 2024. Which shows why one retailer, Target, has stopped carrying the Vintage Collection. I'll talk about that more at a later time. When Hasbro made the Phase II Clonetrooper last year, we in the collecting community knew it would only be a matter of time until we got a Phase I Clonetrooper, and it is worth the wait! 



Honestly, that card image is perfect! I didn't get a figure to keep on card, but I probably should, as I had hoped it would be the image used on the card back when this figure was announced to be arriving soon.  It's from one of the best shots of Attack of the Clones! Definitely a great choice! 




The articulation is excellent! He has 17 points of articulation (POA),  including the new barbell hips. He's very easy to pose, and can achieve almost any pose you can think of. I didn't get one with him doing a two-handed weapon grip (THWG), but it should be easy to do. An explanation on the last picture above: I saw Shooting The Galaxy use a similar post for the Black Series Battle Droid/Phase II Clonetrooper 2 pack, and wanted to show it could be done. In the photos below, you can see how the Phase II Clonetrooper is different (as seen in the other figure comparison photos near the end of this artivle) The paint apps are slightly different on this figure compared to the Phase II. The armor is lighter, but other than that, there is little difference from the neck down. And speaking of the neck, there is excellent up and down  plus side to side head articulation. It's needed, and I'll explain why below. 



The accessories are the same as the Phase II Clonetrooper. A removable helmet, a long rifle and standard blaster. Yes, the blasters are gummy, but he can still hold them quite well. I added a backboard from a comic book in the 2nd shot above to better show off his weapons. Now, while the helmet is easy to take on and off, I would have been happier if this figure didn't have a removable helmet. I understand this is necessary for named Clones like Rex, Wolfe and Cody. It's a cost saving move, and I get it. But, his lower jaw is sometimes visible, so you either have to keep wiggling the helmet to get it to fit, or when posing (or photographing) you have to pose it in certain angles. A swappable unhelmeted head in my opinion would be better. But unlike the Phase II helmet, here Hasbro got it right! It's a much better, and more film accurate helmet




The 1st photo above shows the Phase I along with the Phase II and Hunter, who at this point is the only Bad Batch main in the line. But it's the same buck, all 3. You can see the armor difference I stated earlier. Along with Obi-Wan and Anakin, he can be in the action with them! The last photo shows the Phase I with the 2006 Saga Collection Phase I, and you can see the difference. The older figure is starting to yellow, and still has the blaster tied onto his hand as I had trouble getting him to hold it without being tied. 

Now, this figure is ABSOLUTELY essential to any collection! He's needed for AOTC and whatever Clone Wars (Microseries or Series) displays you want to show off. Unlike the Phase II, this one is perfect  helmet fit aside. For those who want to keep this carded, it does look amazing on the card, too. For now, this is a fan channel only figure, so check Hasbro Pulse, Big Bad Toy Store, Entertainment Earth or Amazon (in the US) if you want to acquire it. At minimum you need 4. But buy as much as you can afford, you won't regret it! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing