Fan Expo NOLA Recap

 Last weekend I attended Fan Expo New Orleans, and had a good time! I had reservations about going after last year's experience which I'll go into during this post. Plus, I'll give a list of some of the celebrities that were there, but also give some advice on what Fan Expo can improve on, as this is my 2nd time attending after they took over operations from Wizard World. And I have to say this in defense of Fan Expo, they did a much better job with the layout, and while they still need some more vendors, other things are out of Fan Expo's control. 


WHAT NEEDS TO IMPROVE 


1. Additional tickets for panels. The Hobbit actors from Lord of the Rings were there, and normally they would have a panel in the main theater. But at Fan Expo, they did a panel, but you had to pay to get a guaranteed seat, and it was an almost after hours event. Also there were Peter Cullen and Frank Welker, best known as the voices of Optimus Prime & Megatron (among the hundreds of other characters they've voiced in various animated shows) that had a panel that was during the day...but it required a separate ticket purchase. Now, I get actors want to make the most money they can, and nothing wrong with that, but to me, and based off several conversations I overheard as I walked across the floor, it wasn't popular with some attendees. 


2. More vendors, please! If you liked Funko Pops, there were plenty enough vendors for you. Now while I mainly collect Star Wars, I was hoping to find some MOTU Origins, McFarlane Super Powers & DC Universe, GI Joe Classified and 3.75 inch, and Power Rangers (several Power Rangers actresses were there) and other lines like Hiya Toys which does lines like 2009 Star Trek and RoboCop. But, no. I only found 3 vendors that had inventory worth coming back for. I found some merchandise, which I'll show later on in this post. 


WHAT THE CONVENTION SITE NEEDS TO IMPROVE:


The Morial Convention Center hosts the event, and is large enough to host not only Fan Expo but other events as well simultaneously. My biggest problem last year were the homeless camps being close to the area where you had to park to get in. While I personally had no contact with them during the day, I knew the Sam Raimi panel I wanted to attend last year would be out when the sun began setting, and didn't want to run the risk of any confrontation. This year, the camps were gone, so I felt much safer about staying longer. However, there are a couple things the site needs to improve on:


1. No Parking Attendants. Last year a human being was paid by me to let me park my car, and guide me to a safe spot. This year, no parking attendant and you had to text a number to get instructions (or scan a QR code) to pay for parking. While I don't mind this, I do miss seeing someone, it just gives me a feeling knowing someone is watching over not only my vehicle, but others as well. Having had a car broken into while at a convention (not in NOLA, and not my car but the car we rode in) it isn't fun. 


2. Exiting the Parking Lot. There was only 1 way in, and one way out of the lot. Again, having no parking attendants made this the only option. Personally, I like having an additional exit available in case traffic is bad. Fortunately when I left it wasn't an issue. Just hope people paid for parking and didn't get a ticket. 


WHAT I GOT




Not a bad haul, really. But I did over pay for Revan, although he was under my $45 limit on a single figure, although not by much. Got an extra Shae Vizsla since I used one to make my Mara Jade custom. The Black Series figures were bought for the retail price of 2, so bought 2, got a third one for free. Got the Bad Batch Cad Bane, Ewok Village Leia, and The Client. I circled a couple times and got lucky on still being able to get Revan, who I won't customize, but one of the ones coming from my online store I will. Expect a review in the next couple weeks. 

One of my guilty pleasures is the Vintage Marvel Star Wars comics, and I found a retailer who had quite a bit, but none had the only single issue I REALLY want which is issue 92 titled 'The Dream'. But I found issue 72, which is the 3rd part of a story I had the first 2 parts of. Issue 49 shares a title with a movie I loathe, but the story is actually good. Luke & Leia are on a diplomatic mission, with Leia finding a romance not with Han Solo, and Luke being jealous of it. But in the story is someone who turned down Jedi training, but got harmed so bad mentally he barely can function. But at a crucial moment, he makes a sacrifice worthy of a Jedi. It is a great single issue story! 


THE GOOD


1. Celebrities! As always, a good number of celebrities came to New Orleans! Katee Sackhoff had to cancel last year, but came down and had a great panel! I mentioned the LOTR Hobbits and the great voice actors Cullen & Welker, but also attending were Felicia Day, Sonequa Martin Green, Diana Lee Inosanto, Michelle Huff, Peter Weller, Linda Hamilton, Michael Biehn, Eddie Furlong, Lance Henrikson, among others. Some were a little under the weather, and did what they could. Randy Quaid's panel was interesting, as he talked about reuniting with his high school classmate Brent Spiner when making Independence Day. He's in the photo below this paragraph, and said taking pictures was okay with him. I took other panel pictures but won't share those, and this was the best photo of Mr Quaid I managed to take.  Celebrities who I found to be nice after a few moments of observation were Sonequa Martin Green, Michelle Huff, Diana Lee Inosanto, and the voice acting Legends Peter Cullen and Frank Welker. 





2. Floor Layout. Last year a couple other Halls were used and space was limited. The main stage took up most of the hall, not leaving enough space for vendors. This year the main stage had a neighboring empty hall, so problem solved. Why they won't use the main stage on the 2nd floor still baffles me but it is what it is. I complained about this last year and Fan Expo fixed it. So I wasn't the only one who complained, obviously. Interrupting the main panel are last year with show announcements kinda killed the mood. Also having restrooms in the hall made it easier than getting in and out the main hall, and was happy my bladder cooperated with me for once. 


3. Comic Book Vendors. It's called comic con for a reason, and there were multiple comic book vendors! But sadly, none had any Trade Paperbacks to sell, just back issues. But great deals were to be had. I didn't pay the sticker prices on my old Marvel Star Wars, and most vendors didn't charge the sticker prices either. 


4. Food. Last year there was a lack of food, which contributed to my decision to leave early at last years event. It may go back to reason 2, but being able to stay in the hall and grab a couple hot dogs, or burgers, tacos, gyros, jambalaya and gumbo made a big difference. Plus with all the walking I did I could burn the carbs off quickly like I did when I was in NYC! But they didn't take cash, which was the only downside. 


Admittedly after last year, I had doubts about whether to attend this year. But the city of New Orleans and Fan Expo did things much better this year. I hope to come back next January for the 2025 show, but my convention focus shifts to the small convention where I have made some Kenner Holy Grail finds, and has some of the collectibles I seek. That show is in April. 


Thanks for reading! Please share this blog post on your social media accounts so I can get more readers! Next week I hope to have my first VC Review or Reviews of 2024! 



Comments

  1. A special "Thank You" to Kat who made my new and improved banner photo! She rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing