VC Endor Han Solo Review

 When collectors learned a new Endor Han Solo was coming, there was some initial excitement, until some details came out. In late 2021/early 2022 Hasbro had begun using new barbell style hip joints (similar to what Hasbro's 3.75 inch GI Joe's and Jazwares 4 inch Fortnite figures). But, well, Hasbro didn't do this for Han Solo. Now while this will sound like mostly a negative review, it isn't completely. There are some positive points about this figure, and I'll do my best to emphasize that. But Hasbro needs to have it pointed out to them that main characters (Luke, Han, Leia, Obi-Wan  Anakin, Padme, and yes even Rey, Finn, and Poe) deserve to be treated with all new sculpts.






Han has 17 POA, and from the waist up is almost a new sculpt, although it does look like the upper body from VC 124 was used once again. I can safely say the head and arms are all brand new sculpts. The lower body is from VC 124 but painted brown, with yellow stripes. While movement isn't a problem, moving his right leg is since the holster is glued onto his leg is a problem.  While he looks good sitting in the Millennium Falcon, it was a pain in the ass to get that shot, as I had to constantly fidget and move the seat back to get it. The upper chest has a joint to swivel his chest, but it really should be at the waist, as it just looks unnatural to me.






Since I found this figure at a retail outlet (shocker!), I was able to find one that I felt looked the best. Good head sculpt, paint apps and no crooked legs. I feel the head sculpt isn't bad, but Hasbro with all the photo real technology just can't seem to get Harrison Ford's likeness completely down. But this is the best 1:18 scale Han Solo likeness, so there's that. His eyes and hair are cleanly painted and there are no cross-eyed versions in my hands.

The card is a favorite. I've seen this image before on the old trading cards, and it's from a deleted scene inside the Endor Bunker. You can see the scene if you have the 2011 Blu Ray or on YouTube. Honestly, it was a shame to open this, but I had my carded figures come in after I bought this so I felt less guilty. The carded image below is the one I was going to open, but you can see how nice it looks. I'm a big fan of the card!




Now for the constructive criticism. Hasbro really went cheap. While this is a better Endor Han than the last one (see below), it takes parts from VC 124, which is 5 years old. Now kitbashing works for background aliens like Tessek and Bib Fortuna, but a main legacy character like Han Solo demands to be treated as a high priority. See the ROTJ Darth Vader, despite being taken from the Dark Times Vader, it's not only new, but has the modern articulation. Endor Han is in scale with other figures like Chewie and Leia, so there's a positive remark.






Needless to say, this Han is essential because at this moment in time, he's the best one. You should be able to find him at brick and mortar retail, or online stores not named eBay for standard retail price. So my advice is get 2, one to open and one to keep carded. There is room for Hasbro to improve on Han Solo, and while I do hold out hope for a brand new ANH version of Han to be made, I hope they don't repaint this one to make it. New barbell hips would have made this an excellent figure. But I'll lower this one to "decent". Check the photo below for a comparison with the previous Endor Han. 




All pictures are mine. Thanks for reading! Please share this blog post on your social media so I can get more readers, thank you!

More Han photos below: 




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing