Black Series vs Vintage Collection

Black Series  vs  Vintage Collection


I finally opened all of my Black Series figures, and while I have a few more coming in, I am able to make some observations about the 6 inch Black Series line. While there are some great things about it (sculpting, ease of articulation, blasters fitting in holsters) there are some major negatives.

The good: the sculpts and articulation. They look good, move fairly easy although I have a few figures with tight joints, it's all good. Getting 2 handed weapon grip is fairly easy on most figures. I like how Han's blaster fits perfectly in the holster and doesn't fall out. The Deathtroopers can do a 2 handed weapon grip (THWG).  It takes a while but the lightsaber blade can be removed from the holds. Plus, they are new figures, while some recent releases are updating some older figures, these figures are all brand new.

The bad: this is going to be a long one. The lightsabers for Jedi, Sith, and Kylo Ren all droop, or are crooked. Very few are straight. Also, there isn't scale across the line. The VC has a similar problem, but my Island Journey Rey is taller than my Throne Room Duel Rey. They're from the same movie!! Also Kylo Ren cannot hold his lightsaber at all. I had to give him Vader's, which he holds perfectly fine. Storage unboxed is a problem, but I have a bin capable of holding them. I can fit 3 times as many VC figures in the same size bin. On Vader, I feel the cape is too long. I have to fold the corners in to make it somewhat presentable, as I do with the VC version, but we're talking about a figure twice that size. I'd rather a smaller cape. Jabba's Palace Luke is also the figure that started me on this path, and it's a disappointment. His tunic is too short. Also, there is a lack of alien background characters. But we get pilot figures out the wazoo! Vehicles, ships and playsets in this scale cannot be done. Sure there are speeders, a TIE Fighter that collected dust, but that's it. Don't expect an X-Wing, AT-AT or Millennium Falcon but you can get an AT-AT Driver and TIE Pilot.

Conclusion: The Black Series is very popular, and while they are the best sculpted and articulated Star Wars toys, give me the Vintage Collection over this line any day of the week. Yes, 3.75 inch figures have been the norm in Star Wars from 1978-85 and 1995-2013, and Black Series is like the hot looking new girl in your college classroom, but that other hot girl you admired before is the better choice. I'm glad I'm at the end of collecting Black Series figures. It just isn't worth my money long term. 

Comments

  1. I prefer SH Figuarts over black series, but newer black series are worth picking up. as for the VC, I don't collect them. I prefer the kenner originals and custom figures based on the original line.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing