So I finished Light of the Jedi

Last night I wrapped up Light of the Jedi, the 1st novel in the High Republic era. Written by Charles Soule, who has done a great job on the 2nd Darth Vader monthly series and the current Star Wars monthly series, they picked the right writer to kick this off. This is not going to be a spoiler filled post, but I liked it. It wasn't bad, but not great. Parts I liked were the Jedi and their different views of the Force. What didn't work for me was jumping from character to character. Now, this is a world building novel, so I cut it some slack. The threat, except for one, didn't really put tension into me. Ship fragments exiting hyperspace IMO wouldn't devastate planets if they made impact. But, I'm no physics major. Plus the Star Wars universe isn't known for adhering to science as we know it. One ship fragment, full of Tibanna gas almost hits a Star. That took all the Jedi to stop. The villains, called the Nihil, seem more like the Pirates of the Caribbean. Barbosa's crowd, but led by Norrington. I wouldn't mind if someone in the Nihil was a disillusioned Jedi, at least then it would be interesting. But they make some bold moves at the end of the novel. It could get interesting. What I liked was the Jedi. Avar Kriss is a young and powerful Jedi Master and is the Anakin Skywalker of her day. Elzar Mann is a Jedi Knight who has a "special" relationship with Avar. Loden Greatstorm is a Jedi with an uncertain fate. Strangely enough, what's going on with lockdowns is what happens here in LOTJ. So it's relatable. The only pre-Aestablished characters to appear are Yoda And Yareal Poof. This novel succeeds in world building, not as a stand alone. It is worth your time to read, as we see the start of the Jedi becoming more involved in keeping the peace and straying from The will of the Force.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My SWTVC March Madness Top 25

The Choice

2024 Last Figure Standing